Whether you are an aspiring or a professional artist, or you only want to pursue your artistic interests as a hobby, a good quality graphics tablet might be of great help. But the large variety of models and designs could seem overwhelming. Here are a few things to consider when searching for the best drawing tablet on the market.
- Your needs. No gadget could be “the best” for every single buyer on Earth. One could only hope to buy something that fits well its own needs and desires. When looking for a drawing tablet, it matters weather you want to use it to make high quality professional drawings or to have some fun with your children. The qualities listed bellow might be of more or less importance, according to the purposes you buy the tablet for.
- The compatibility with your operating system. Provided that most tablets work while connected to a computer, a laptop or a smartphone, the first step is to find out what operating system (like Windows, Mac, Android, Linux) you are using and to use this as a filter to select the compatible tablets.
- The versatility. According to your goals, you might look for a tablet compatible with a large variety of drawing and drawing related programs. There are a lot of drawing programs on the market aimed at digital drawing, offering a basic toolset for the beginners or more extended options for the professionals. It would be a good idea to look for and to get informed on the suitable drawing programs that you want to use and to chose the tablet accordingly. There is another facet when it comes about the versatility of a tablet. If you want to use it for other purposes than drawing, look for a model that also can be used as a laptop.
- The image quality. The high quality of the drawn images is one of the most important assets of a graphics tablet and is tied to its resolution. The resolution of a tablet is measured in Lines per inch (LPI). Specialists explain that a 1000 LPI resolution is good enough to ensure a high quality image. Though, increasing the resolution up to 2000 LPI could lead to an slight increase in the perceived quality of the images.
Another thing to look for, that is related to image quality, is weather the tablet supports a software regulating pressure sensitivity. Pressure sensitivity means that one can vary the width of the lines, controlling the pressure applied on the drawing surface. The higher the pressure sensitivity of a tablet is, the greater the variation in the line thickness.
- The user- friendly qualities. Drawing on a tablet is different in many ways from drawing on paper. Actually, drawing by moving the pen on a black board and getting feedback from a screen is an unusual experience for the newcomers and might take a little time to learn. As you progress to a higher level of performance, you come to master more and more subtle digital drawing skills. Nevertheless, the tablet shouldn’t put an additional strain on this endeavor. It should be easy to use, from the easy- to- follow instructions for installing the drivers to the easy- to- operate accessories and buttons.
- The maintenance and the endurance. Once you invest in a high quality tablet, you want to use it as long as possible, with minimal additional costs. Beside the warranty time, you might look for some prospective protection accessories, like a screen defender. Also, most users consider the digital pens equipped with rechargeable batteries as more convenient.
- The drawing experience. Not the least, although different from hand drawing, digital drawing can offer you the same feeling of a creative experience. This might be related to some characteristics of a the tablet though. For example, users tend to prefer a smoother surface of the screen, because drawing is easier and closer to tracing on the paper, and also the unpleasant sound of scratching a hard surface is missing. Some users prefer the newer models of touchscreen tablets, that allow you to write directly on the tablet, providing an experience even closer to the regular drawing. Also, you might want to look to the size of the screen; a bigger one offers a greater freedom of movement. Finally, there is a great variety of digital pens and it would help to test how it feels to use them before buying a tablet.
I hope you’ll find these guidelines helpful for choosing the best drawing tablet for you. Nevertheless, nothing matters more with your direct experience with a product. Is as much as possible, don’t rush and find an opportunity to test the tablet before buy, to see how it feels for you to use it. This is important as a drawing table might be the lifeline between your talent and your artistic accomplishments.