USB drives are so common these days that almost every household has one. All types of data ranging from documents, videos, and photographs can be saved onto USB drives. Further, they are small in size and extremely lightweight, which makes them a great option for data storage. However, like every other type of electronic device, USB drives can get damaged too.
Within USB drives, data is stored in partitions, which helps in the process of segregation. When one or more of these partitions gets damaged, this could lead to data loss. This is a situation that can happen to anybody at any point in time. This post will help you understand what you need to do if you find yourself in a situation where you need to recover data from the USB drive.
What Causes Data Loss within USB Drive Partitions?
While data loss within USB drives is quite common, there are a few specific reasons behind why this data loss occurs. Some of these reasons are:
- Human Error: Accidental deletion of the entire volume of data within a partition, unsafe unplugging of the USB drive and negligent usage are some examples of human error.
- Formatting: When you format or reformat your USB Drive, it wipes out the existing memory and could result in data loss.
- Re-partitioning: Re-partitioning of a drive is when different partitions are created, thereby erasing the existing partitioning. This may lead to loss of data.
- Electricity Failure: Sudden failure of power or short-circuiting of electricity can cause internal damage within your USB drive.
- Corruption and Virus: Virus or malware attacks on your PC / laptop could lead to damage of files and partitions within your USB. This may also corrupt your data, thereby making certain partitions of the USB unreadable.
How Can Data Loss Be Prevented?
There are some precautionary measures you can take to ensure that your data does not get lost. These are:
- Take frequent backups of the data onto an external or internal drive. This way, if your USB partition is damaged, you will not be losing a lot of data.
- When unplugging your USB drive from your PC / laptop, make sure to eject safely. To do this, find the USB option on the bottom right corner of your PC / laptop and right-click. Once the system prompts you to remove the device, only then unplug the USB drive.
- Do not expose the USB drive to dust, sunlight, or water. Store it safely and treat it carefully to avoid external damage.
- Protect your PC / laptop with authorized anti-virus software to avoid malware and corruption of data.
However, if you find yourself in a situation where you are already facing data loss, you don’t need to worry. Approaching a data recovery expert like Stellar Data Recovery to recover lost data from the USB will ensure that you get your data back in a safe and reliable manner.
Stellar Data Recovery
Stellar Data Recovery entered the recovery industry 25+ years ago. After serving millions of customers with its exceptional service, it is now the pioneer of data recovery services across the world. With highly skilled professionals that specialize in a gamut of recovery services, Stellar has a record of 95% success rate in recovery.
To avail USB drive recovery, all you need to do is take your USB drive to the Stellar data recovery center closest to you. Here, a recovery professional will examine the type and extent of damage within your USB drive before providing a time and cost estimate. Once this is done, the recovery process will begin.
While it is possible to reduce the chances of data loss by taking some precautionary measures as mentioned above, it is not possible to completely eliminate it. In cases like this, it is definitely important that you consult a data recovery expert like Stellar Data Recovery in order to get your data back.
Stellar has excellent features that it offers its customers worldwide, such as their doorstep drive pick-up facility and ‘no recovery, no charge’ policy. Further, at Stellar, recovery is almost always a guarantee. So, the next time you need USB data recovery, remember that Stellar is just a call away!