This article is up to provide the step-by-step guide on how to delete the printer driver in Windows 10, Windows 7 or 8 from the computer. The described steps are also suitable for printers HP, Canon, Epson and others, including network printers.
There are several situations when one has to remove the printer drivers. First of all, in case of any problems with the drivers. In such an occasion you need to remove old drivers and install the new ones from the http://driverscenter.com/ – the website that contains drivers for all printers.
Simple Way Of Deleting The Printer Driver In Windows
Here is the easiest way which usually works and will be suitable for all the latests version of Windows. Follow the instruction below:
- Launch command line with administrator rights (in Windows 8 and Windows 10 it can be done after right-clicking the Windows button and choosing the necessary option)
- Enter the printui/s/t2 command and press Enter
- Select the drivers that need to be removed and then press the Delete button on the opened dialog box and select the option “Delete the Driver and Package of the Driver”.
- After that, all the old drivers and all corresponding files connected to them will be removed from the computer. However, this method does not always work without some preliminary actions.
If while deleting the driver using the described above method you saw any error messages, then try to use another method (also in command line with the administrator rights):
- Enter the net stop spooler command
- Enter the C:\Windows\ System32\spool\Printers and if there are any files delete them from the computer (however, do not delete the folder).
- If you have an HP printer, clean also the C:\ Windows\ system32\ spool\ drivers\ w32x86 folder
- Enter the net start spooler command
- Repeat steps 2-3 from the previous instruction (printui and deleting the driver of the printer).
Now the drivers of your printer are totally removed from Windows. Perhaps the system will also request for a reboot.
Third Method To Delete The Printer Driver
The following method is described in the instructions for HP, Canon and other manufacturers. The method works for the printers connected via USB and includes the following simple steps:
- Disconnect the printer from USB.
- Enter the Control Panel — Programs and Components.
- Find all printer programs (by the name if the vendor in the title), delete them (select the program, and click Delete or choose the Delete option after right-clicking the item).
- After deleting all programs, enter the Control Panel – Devices and Printers
- If your printer is displayed there, right-click on it and select Delete the device and follow instructions of the system.
Note: if there are several devices of one brand and model, delete all of them.
Upon completion of deleting the printer from Windows, perform a reboot. Now your printer drivers are completely deleted from the system. You can install the new drivers from the Driverscenter or from the manufacturer’s CD – however, it is better download the most recent drivers online.