While ecommerce is booming, the traditional retail outlet is still enjoying brisk business, and there will always be those who prefer to actually “shop”, rather than filling a virtual shopping cart. As you probably know, retail is all about location, therefore great care should be taken when looking at potential retail venues, and if you have found the perfect lot and are getting ready to launch, here is a checklist to ensure that nothing is overlooked.
- The Right Signage – If you are looking to cut a few corners and save some money, signage is definitely not the place to start. Source a market leader and use lightboxes where possible – if your budget stretches that far, why not go for a couple of super slim LED screens that can show your looped presentation? Clever use of your colours and logo will go a long way to good branding and be prominent whenever possible with your store signage. If there is a space above your outlet, why not have a special hanging sign that lets people know exactly where you are? Letting people know where you are is an essential part of in store marketing, and with the help of a professional signage contractor, your store will stand out from the crowd.
- Labels and Printed Media – There are companies that produce stunning custom labels in Melbourne along with stickers to adorn your shopfront. Laser printing allows for rich colours and with the ability to print onto many mediums, you are not limited with your choices. There are several methods for product price labelling and it is easy to incorporate barcodes. Digital laser printing offers quality products that are in keeping with your business image, and by consulting with the experts, they can help you to create a package that includes promotional brochures, name cards and special promotion leaflets.
- Marketing – With a grand opening planned, make sure you get your message across via as many platforms as possible. Social media is always a good way to get noticed, and by setting up a social media page a month before the opening, you can create a following. Every new business should have a digital marketing plan, even traditional bricks and mortar outlets, and if you are not technically minded, invest in a digital marketing agency, as this is a critical component to success. Search engine optimisation will definitely help online consumers to find you, and by making your website more visible to major search engines, you are maximising your chances of attracting new customers.
- Payment Gateways – Obviously you will accept good old cash, but you will need to offer several payment gateways, which would include the major credit cards, and if you want to be a frontrunner, set up Bitcoin as an accepted form of payment. It might be worth talking to a few banks, which might lead to special promotions for their customers who shop in your store. The more methods of payment you have, the better, and with cryptocurrencies taking off, you should make provisions for this.
- Motivated Staff – Without a doubt, your human resources are the most important for every business, and if you are finding it hard to source the right people, outsource to an established recruitment agency, especially if you need a store manager.
- Licences and Permits – Every retail outlet must comply with local authority regulations, which cover noise and air pollution, not to mention the utilities, which must be prearranged. It is essential that your store complies fully, which also means adequate insurance cover that includes Public Liability.
Interior design is a critical aspect of a successful retail store, and if you don’t have any concrete ideas regarding the décor, enlist the help of a commercial interior designer. Getting the ambience wrong is like the kiss of death, as people won’t feel comfortable, and with a great product range, suitable background music and keen staff, you are ready to open your doors to the public.